The Connection Status displays an estimated internet connection speed between your computer and the Encompass server. The estimate is provided to highlight potential issues with your internet connection.
It is important to know that connection speed is not constant as there are many factors which can effect connection speed at any point in time. Therefore, the estimated connection speed provided should only be used as an indication of a potential issue. It is best observed over a period of time (e.g., a couple of days) to determine if there is a persistent poor connection speed.
There are three high level statuses that indicate how well Encompass will work on your computer;
- Excellent - Your connection to the server is very quick. Your experience with Encompass should be excellent.
- Good - Your connection to the server meets the minimum requirements. General use of Encompass should be smooth but you may occasionally experience longer wait times for operations which transfer extra large amounts of data; such as opening, printing and downloading multiple documents
- Poor - Your connection to the server is below minimum requirements. You are likely to experience pauses in general use and longer wait times for operations which transfer large amounts of data; such as opening, printing and downloading documents
Additionally, upload and download speeds in megabits per second (Mbps) are displayed. These numbers may be useful when speaking with technical support.
How can you improve your connection?
There are a number of causes of a poor connection speed that you can solve or rule out as problems;
- Close other programs that use the internet. e.g., Skype, file sharing software such as bittorrent, music streaming software such as Spotify
- Cancel, pause or wait for any large downloads from other websites
- Upgrade to a broadband connection (ADSL 2+ equivalent or higher should be sufficient)
- Speak with your company's technical support to see if they have firewalls, proxies, routes or connection throttling rules that may be impacting on Encompass. They may be interested in the minimum download and upload speeds listed below.
If the connection speed is still persistently poor then please contact Encompass support, who will work with you to resolve the issue.
Recommended connection speeds
The recommended minimum connection speeds are;
Download - 3.0 Megabits per second
Upload - 0.5 Megabits per second